Strawberry, Basil and Lemon Soda
This is not a fancy recipe, but it is quick, refreshing, and makes good use of fresh, local strawberries. This is how I did it (via the June issue of Bon Appetit magazine).
- Quarter 5 small strawberries, drop into a glass
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add 5 clean basil leaves
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar (I use raw), or an equivalent quantity of agave nectar
- Crush the above with the handle of a wooden spoon (or equivalent) until sugar dissolves and basil leaves begin to shred.
- Shake mixture in some sort of rudimentary bar shaker mechanism (I used a coffee thermos).
- (If you’re fancy like me, you’ll dip a drinking glass in lemon juice and sugar)
- Add ice to drinking glass, and strain the mixture into the glass.
- Add tonic or soda water (I just used Pellegrino.)
Enjoy the taste of summer!
You can add your favorite vodka to it for an extra kick, but the simply soda version is a more than satisfying and bright on its own!